Balkan Reflections

This blog has been set up to assist in communicating with friends and family while we are in Bosnia-Herzegovina

Name:
Location: Ontario, Canada

Striving to a better day.

Monday, October 17, 2005

Greetings to those who are still with me!

Sunday brought a couple of interesting developments…or so I thought.

There seems to be some breakthrough, linguistically speaking. I actually asked our neighbour a question in Serbian (Tvoja Kuća?) and she understood me!

Now, it wasn’t a well phrased sentence. Only my tone of voice would have indicated it as a question at all. What I’d asked was “Your house?” as I motioned toward the house which is being built next door, right behind the house she lives in.

Surprisingly, she answered “Nema”…no. Then she and the landlady said something about the village (selo). Hmmm. I am going to have to do some research. I don’t know what this means. My guess is that there is some sort of a municipal re-building project happening. As I’ve mentioned, there is a LOT of building going on.

I have to mention, if I haven’t already, that these houses are large and beautiful. Built almost entirely of large terra-cotta bricks and then stuccoed over, both inside and out, they are almost fire-proof and mold proof (or so it would seem). They all seem to sport several balconies (our apartment has three, and we only share one of them!). They have a Mediterranean appearance to them, especially with the red-tiled rooves.

What our neighbour is currently living in is a one storey red-brick (small, like the bricks at home) and stucco bungalow. It is small, and the stucco is coming off, revealing the rough brickwork underneath. It appears to have only one entrance. I don’t know what it or any of the many others like it look like inside. I’ve come to calling these ‘Tito shacks’. Some are actually well kept, but many look very rundown. Closer to the city center, some even sport bullet holes.

One thing nearly all the yards here have is a heavy fence and gate (serious security!) and enviable gardens, both flowers and vegetables. No one seems to lock the gates any more, but they give a formidable first impression.

I’ve digressed a bit…

Later on Sunday, we decided to go out for pizza. I ordered entirely in Serbian! And we got what we expected to get. Yumm!


Just a note that I’m not sure what’s happening for the rest of the week. We are leaving on Wednesday morning for Međugorje, and will not be returning until Friday. I may not be online again until then.

God Bless

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I missed it, I apologize, but I would love to know if Aaron walked to his daddy when he got off the plane.

12:09 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what CAN one get on a Serbian pizza?

12:11 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home